Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Show up or show off

I was at an event a few days ago and it just had me speculating: is it really possible to show up and show off or one over the other?

I really don't think both can be achieved simultaneously because when you are too busy trying to show off are you really present?

For example at this event I was on my element dancing enjoying myself my hair was a mess I was sweaty and utterly making a fool of myself. My bra slipped down and I didn't care if I did I think I would have missed out on the pure endorphin rush my dancing was leaving me with and by trying to look perfect and show off I would not have been showing up for what life's all about: pure joy in living.

Further, I wonder when we accumulate goods or try to achieve bodily perfection are we trying to do it for innate validation or that social external one that separates us from the animals? Even when we achieve these elements are we ever really validated? No we seek more.

My answer lies on the dance floor with my bra. Showing off has its perks but showing up has the satisfaction. Either way you can't achieve one with the other; conondrum solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment